Today is the one-year anniversary of the day the V's moved in with us. Here they are with their abuelos, in front of our house. I don't have a picture of the kids with me and Dave because it didn't occur to me to take one on that day.
Victoria didn't really understand that she was moving in with us permanently. They had been over for several visits by this point, including an overnight, so she was happy to see us despite having a cold and an ear infection. Valentino was overjoyed to be moving in and it shows in his huge smile. It was a hard day for the abuelos, who were happy to find a forever family for the V's, but sad to say goodbye to them at the same time. And as for me... well, that was the day I became a Mommy.
A lot of adoptive families refer to this day as "Gotcha Day." The day they got their kids, or the day the kids got them, however you choose to see it. I've been calling it that too, but I'd really like a better name. Suggestions? Also, I haven't decided what day we will celebrate with them on an annual basis. Should we celebrate the day we all met? (Which was January 18, for the record. We celebrated on the 17th this year because I was confused and thought it was the 18th! Took me two days to figure it out. Oh, well... nobody else knew, especially not the V's.) Should we celebrate the day they moved in? Or the day we finalized? (Which I refer to as "Adoption Day.") Or all of the above?
Today we celebrated by going to a SuperBowl party at our friends' home. We bought the kids a small present and explained it was for Gotcha Day... but I think the explanation was lost on them because they were just so happy to receive a present.
Here we all are, one year later. It's really hard to believe it's been one year. Some days I wake up and can't believe it's all really true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



What a beautiful family!!! Hard to believe it has been a year already but wow think of all the wonderful memories you've created in just one year! Congrats on your anniversary of being together!- Angie
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! It's wonderful! We are just in the process of finding out about 2 boys, who I think will be coming home with us eventually. Reading about your anniversary has special resonance... Very exciting!!!! Which anniversary to celebrate? All of them!!!! Any excuse for a party, I say, and celebrating and creating family traditions helps to cement belonging and identity. Can't see the kids complaining if there are several special days!!!
ReplyDeleteTara........wow, already a year! What a journey this has all been. I love seeing pictures and getting a little glimpse of how amazing life is for you now as a "Mommy". Celebrate all dates and each and every day.....since really all we have is now anyways.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Katie
Happy "anniversary"!
ReplyDeleteWhat a year, what a year! I say, celebrate whatever days you want to. Since our situation is different from yours, we don't exactly celebrate the day we met him, since it's his birthday, though we do celebrate that. We celebrate the day three months later that was his adoption finalization, and we call that day, "Family Day".
ReplyDelete