I just received word that we are now licensed foster parents! This means that if there is a child who is going to be placed for adoption, but is not yet "legally free," the child will be able to move into our home as a foster son or daughter, while the state completes the process of severing from birth family. We won't have to wait until the child is available for adoption.
I volunteered at an event sponsored by Target and our adoption agency a week ago and ran into several of the families that were in our certification class. One of the couples had already been selected to parent a young sibling set- 5 year old boy and 2 year old girl. They were scheduled for their second meeting to learn about the children on last Thursday. I did not hear from her as to whether they decided to accept the placement- I assume they did- but I was really encouraged by the news and the speed at which the placement occurred.
I also ran into Andrea at this event and I asked her whether she thought that it might be difficult for us to receive a placement because we both work. She said that sometimes in the case of very young children, the scales do tip in favor of families that have a stay at home parent, but she also felt that we have a lot of strengths as a family that most families don't have- experience with children, etc. No point in worrying about it, at any rate- it will happen when it happens.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Tara, love your blog! Hang in there . . .I know it's tough and I feel for you.
ReplyDelete