Saturday, December 5, 2009

We are Overdue for a Red File...

I am a number cruncher. Yes, I can't help myself. I suppose it has to do with 14 years of sales experience and measuring statistics from every which way. But I am always looking at numbers to get my answers. At this point, we have been selected for 4 Red Files, and we are averaging 60.25 days between them. (For any other number crunchers, I'm counting the days between the days I was notified of the Red File, not the actual dates of Red File meetings.) Why? I suppose it is because those days stand out in my mind as incredibly joyous and full of hope.

So here we are, 62 days since the last one. I don't know how December goes in this system. One of the CPS workers that I met on National Adoption Day told me that around the holidays there is a huge influx of kids into the system. So does this mean there will be more Red Files? Or does that just signify the beginning of the 6-18 month process to determine what will happen to these kids? Sometimes I feel bad for hoping and wishing for more kids in the system. In order for them to be in the system, bad things have happened to them. So am I selfishly wanting bad things to happen to children so that I can be a mother?

The other possibility that has occurred to me is that December may be the slowest month ever. I can totally see all these CPS caseworkers saying, "I guess I'll just wait until after the holidays to schedule this Red File." It would sure be a lot easier to coordinate calendars that way.

Either way, I guess we are about to find out. But I am going to hold out hope that we get called next week for Red File #5. In January we are going to re-evaluate our options, which means sitting down to take a hard look at our finances and see if we can afford a private adoption. There are so many scary things about private adoption, but I'll write about that another time.

For now, I'm waiting for Red File #5.

2 comments:

  1. We are keeping our fingers crossed that 2010 is YOUR YEAR! love u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that it's the huge influx of children just begining their "countdown" or the investigations. Both of mine were placed early in the year - Lala right after new years and the cuddler in early Feb. Also, in my state at least, everyone is waiting for the next round of lay-offs... so that could cause some delay as well.

    I really hope that you will get a call soon!

    PS. do you know anyone currently in Army - someone fairly close? If so, email me. I might have an idea for you. It didn't work for me, but might for you.

    ReplyDelete