This has been a very hard week for me. While I am at work, I am very busy and don't have time to dwell on the pain and loss. But when I get home, my heart aches and I miss my Dante so much. Everywhere I look, I see reminders of him... the places he used to sleep, the paw prints he left on the walls he would use as a spring board as he madly raced around the house, his favorite shelf in the closet where Dave made a special bed for him high enough that he could see out of the window... It is hard for Dave too- he was accustomed to having a little companion following him around all day, sleeping on his desk while he was working, hanging out with him when he would prepare and eat a meal, and snuggling with him when Dave would lie down to take a break. Family and friends have been truly wonderful to me through these difficult times- thank you so much for your love and support.
In the midst of my grief, a small ray of hope shines through. We are being considered as an fost-adoptive family for a little baby named Alex. He is four months old. This is only the very beginning of the process, so we can't get too excited yet. If you remember from the first post, the case worker will review as many as 30 or 40 files and then narrow down the list to a few finalists- maybe 3 to 6 families, at which point she'll conduct a Red File Staffing. We won't know if we have made the cut for a few weeks.
As far as Alex goes, or any child that we might fost-adopt, I won't be able to share many details of his history with people other than his health care professionals or on a "need to know basis." Ha! That sounded so top-secret classified information! Of course I can tell you things about the child himself, such as age or appearance (apparently he is Hispanic, I haven't seen a picture of him.) But as far as the reasons he was placed in foster care, or any background on his birth family- it would be inappropriate and against the rules for me to divulge this, even to very close family members. At this point, I really don't know very much myself! But I'm excited that we are being considered. I will keep you apprised of new developments...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sadly, from our experience the grief of a pet does definitely gets better with time, but in the meantime it is painful and sad. Creating something new to focus on can help.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with the developing news of the fost-adopt. I'm sure you guys will make it into that 3 - 6 family range. You and Dave will make VERY good parents to a child in the very near future.