Friday, May 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Valentino!

Today my little boy turned three years old. I started off the day by doing what my mother did on my birthday for the first thirty or so years of my life:



Yes, that's right. I took his Birthday Picture. He is swinging a blue rubber snake that he received as a gift. His outfit was another gift.

We celebrated his birthday early with family and friends last Sunday, figuring that Memorial Day weekend would result in lower attendance. He had a wonderful time at his party, an event of which I have zero photographs. I was so busy being the hostess that I did not even stop to take a single picture. I am relying on my mom and others to share theirs with me.

Friends, family, and his abuela joined us for the day. We had some kiddie pools set up in our back yard and the three year old crowd enjoyed themselves immensely with the water. Note to self for future: People do not read e-Vites. If you are planning a party with water activities, don't expect that just because you mention it in your e-Vite that people will bring swimsuits or extra clothing for their kids. It was pretty hilarious actually- as soon as their parents would look away, the little kids would climb into the pools, fully clothed or not. Then, because the weather was a balmy 70 degrees, they would get cold and start shivering. I brought out every towel in my house. The parents would go to work drying off the kids, meanwhile drying their clothing in our dryer, then dressing the kids in the now-dry clothing. Then five minutes later their attention would be drawn away from the toddlers and the cycle would repeat itself. The kids were so happy though- I really enjoyed watching this.

Present opening was total chaos. I am a control freak, so I decided to be the official recorder of who brought what. Dave's job was to maintain order, and to report this information to me. Within about 3 minutes, he had lost control. Everyone brought their gifts in bags. There would be two or three items in a bag and Tino would extract one, then move on to the next bag. Cards were loose in the pile of presents. Other little kids were helping with the unwrapping process. I was shouting out, "Who gave him that train? Who is that book from? WAIT TINO! There are still more presents in that bag from your Aunt Rachel. Open all the presents in that bag before you move on to the next one!" And after the party I sent out a bunch of text messages. Was the red soccer ball from you? Anyone know who gave him the Matchbox cars?

But when everyone left, I felt so happy. I had planned and executed a three year old's birthday party. My boy had fun, and that was my goal.

Today was his true birthday though, so we saved his presents from Mommy and Daddy until today. Daddy gave him his own (plastic) tool set, which is so Dave. And guess what? Tino loves it!!! He exclaimed, "My tools! I fix it!" He helped me assemble his tool tray stand and then played with his screwdriver all day. It has multiple bits and actually turns. Here is the little handyman at work:



But the best birthday present of all came via e-mail. I have recently made contact with Tino's first foster mother, M. He moved in with her when he was 16 months old. Today she sent me some photos of my boy when he was a baby. I was flooded with emotions on seeing what he looked like when he was so much smaller. So happy to have the photos and to know that he will have a photographic record of his time with M and her family. Sad that I didn't know him at that age, and that we probably won't get any photos from before this time. Sorry that he has endured so much upheaval and change in his short little life. Grateful for the love that he has received from his two foster families. And, of course, joyful that he is my son now, forever and ever.

Happy Birthday, my son. I love you so very, very much.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday Tino! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like it was an awesome party! Too Cool about the photos, I know that he will treasure them when he gets older and appreciate all that you are doing to find that information.

    ReplyDelete