With children ages 1 and 2, you would think that I am years away from forking over large sums of money for "school pictures." But you would be mistaken. When I was a kid, the school picture people came once per year, and only to actual schools, with school-aged children. Everyone was systematically photographed and sent home with the package of photos a couple of weeks later, only to dutifully return the next day with a wad of our parents cash and instructions NOT to spend the money in the vending machines. Not only was it necessary for our parents to buy enough photos to send to the entire extended family, but they also needed to buy many, many tiny portraits for us kids to exchange with our friends. We would write insightful messages on the back of the photos, such as "LYLAS (Love ya like a sis)" and "KIT always" (keep in touch). It was a status symbol to have your wall plastered with tiny photos of ones many, many friends. Now the critical details here are 1) we were old enough to HAVE friends, and 2) we were old enough to write.
Nowadays, school pictures happen twice a year at daycare. And upon learning that the school picture people were coming, what did I do? Well, of course I dressed my kids in really cute outfits (just in case the photos turned out well.) I sent a headband with flowers for Victoria and suggested to her teacher to "just try and see if she will wear it for the pictures." And I told Dave, "I'm not actually going to BUY the pictures, I'm just going to see how they turn out." Well, two weeks later, I'm pretty sure you can all see where this is going... I showed up at the school and the pictures were ready for my viewing pleasure and I walked out the door having paid the maximum amount possible for the largest package they offered. And I have lots of tiny photos of my kids now, who aren't old enough to write cutesy messages on the back and don't really have any BFFs they would want to exchange with anyway.
But the pictures are pretty damn cute, if I do say so myself. What do you think?




Yes! They are super adorable, and worth every penny. As someone who has spent huge amounts of money at the JC Penney studio, let me tell you that in your case you were spared the ordeal of being the one to actually corral your children into getting their pictures taken. That, my friend, is worth every penny! Plus, they are super adorable!
ReplyDeletesooo cute!!!!! Worth it for sure. BTW, as parents you are expected to write cute messages and send to YOUR friends (which includes cousins in this instance) so we can post on our fridges as a status symbol to show just how darn attractive our family is ;-) I am awaiting my copy of said pictures with "LYLAC" message scribed on the back. And you thought the pressure was off after you bought the photos :-) Silly mamma
ReplyDeletethey came out so adorable!!!!
ReplyDeleteI hate school pictures. Especially the elementary school ones where the background is blue and the kids have a cheesy, fake smile! I just take them to JC Penney and get their portraits done once a year. That way I don't have to hope for a good school picture- which NEVER happens! Kids are expensive......
ReplyDeleteKate
Oh yeah- feel free to send me some of those cute, expensive photos. I don't have any to post on my fridge yet!
ReplyDeleteKate