The V's moved in on Saturday. P and S brought them over with their miniature suitcases and one big suitcase with all their clothing and toys. Victoria was under the weather due to a combination of ear infection and some form of cough/cold/wheezing. But Tino was ready to move in. He came charging up the driveway wearing his little backpack and a huge smile on his face. So now they have been here for 4 days. I am losing track of what day it is, now that I am off from work. I had to look in the corner of the computer screen to remember what day it is.
I would like to say that we are settling into a comfortable routine, but the reality is that I am still learning and it is taking some time to figure out how to accomplish tasks that a week ago I would have taken for granted. Going anywhere by car, for instance, is a major production. I have to pack the diaper bag, which is generally well stocked with a change of clothing and of course diapers, but also requires snacks and water in sippy cups. So I have to pack the diaper bag while entertaining two children. If they are hungry, then of course they must be fed prior to venturing forth on the expedition. Sometimes Tino informs me that he has to "go baa-roo," which I now understand means we leap into action and rush off to the bathroom so that he can do a "number two." The first few times he told me "Go baa-roo" I really had no idea what he was saying, so by the time I figure it out, I was too late and he missed the opportunity to go in the toilet. I am not yet fluent in Tino-speak but I have a working knowledge at this point. Sometimes I have to translate for Dave and sometimes he translates for me. But back to the car trip, after packing the diaper bag, buckling in the kids, loading the accessories into the car (baby sling- a godsend, shopping cart cover, my purse, stroller, etc), then I drive REALLY SLOWLY to our destination. I have become ultra-conservative in my driving now that I'm a mom, and especially with the kids on board. So things just take a lot longer than I think they should these days. I am getting used to it.
I completely messed up their sleep schedule yesterday by allowing Tino to take a nap from 4:30 to 6:00. He was up until midnight and we had another unrestful night of sleep with various combinations of our family members in and out of our bed all night. So today I was on a mission to get things back on track. Unfortunately, Victoria refused to take her nap at the usual time, so I had to keep her awake all day to avoid a repeat of last night. Boy was she grumpy! But I am proud to say that both kids were in bed and asleep by 8:30, which granted me this golden hour to write this post.
All in all, things are going well. I am enjoying the experience of having only one thing to focus on right now- the kids. I am loving the sound of the word "Mommy." And I love watching Dave in his new role of Daddy. I will write more on this another day. Chris, you are absolutely right about this.
And now for a few photos.

My cousin gave me this sling which has been invaluable. Here you can see how it enables multi-tasking. One conducting a business transaction and the other enjoying an afternoon snack.

I tend to be more of the photographer in the family, so there are a lot more photos of the kids with Dave than with me. Sometimes I have to take a self-portrait to prove I am part of this family... photographic evidence, you know...
This is what Tino looks like when we read him a story. He loves his bedtime story.

And this is what Victoria looks like when she has just woken up from her nap. You can tell she has been crying but she has this look of relief too. Oh, Mommy, you finally showed up to release me from this cell you call a "crib..."

Oh, I love these babies.

You are doing great! There is a bit of a learning curve, and it will take some time, so cut yourself some slack on how things "should" be. Trust yourself and you'll develop your own routines of what works well for you. For instance, I usually leave the stroller in my car. I give you credit, I gave up on the shopping cart cover once I figured out that it was really hard to put it in and hold the baby at the same time. Now, I don't worry about germs and just think of it as "building his immunity". I pack extra snacks in the diaper bag, so they last for more than one outing (things like cereal bars, dried fruit, goldfish, cereal). I also prep the bag before he gets up, or while he is in the highchair. But don't worry, you'll get it. Can't wait to meet them!
ReplyDeletegive it a few weeks and it will be second nature for you =)
ReplyDeleteLOL. I know just what you mean about the car thing! We are FINALLY getting to the point where people know how to buckle themselves. I never imagined what a milestone that would be, but, wow, does it make my life easier!!!!
ReplyDeleteI also know what you mean about losing track of days. I can go weeks on end without really thinking about dates. For instance, I'll know it's Monday- but in an abstract sort of way. I truly only pay attention to things like what day Julia has drama or voice. Or when Elijah is going to preschool. Dates are fairly insiginificant.
It took me some time to get the hang of having the two little ones. Having them so close together definitely has it's pluses and minuses, but all together they're wonderful.
I couldn't be happier for you!!!
Love you~ Kate
Too funny Tara! I was SO there only six months ago. We practically passed out at 8:30 every night. It's difficult being thrown into 2 children at once, huh? (But worth it) Routine, routine, routine has become our best friend. They get too stimulated otherwise.
ReplyDeleteI almost feel like a pro now, but not always liking the car seat in and out thing with more than 2 errands...
Can't wait to see you all!