Thursday, February 4, 2010

Saturday is Moving Day

Dave and I went to visit the children at S & P's house last night- our last visit before they move in. They were super happy to see us, Valentino especially. We walked up to the door and I guess he could hear us outside because we could hear him on the inside saying, "My Mommy! My Daddy!" over and over. S let him open the door himself and he just stood there beaming for a few seconds before charging into Dave's arms!

Victoria was a little under the weather with a cough but was very cuddly and sweet. Surprisingly, at the end of the visit, S was holding her and she reached out for me. I took her and she put her little head on my shoulder and sighed deeply. S was very pleased and she said, "The little one knows her mommy!"

Originally we had planned to have them move in tomorrow, but S & P were invited to a gathering of family and friends tomorrow evening, and they wanted to take the children so that people could say goodbye to them. So we will go to their home to pick them up on Saturday morning. P especially seems sad to see them go. He felt it would be easier on him emotionally for us to pick them up at their home, rather than them bringing the children to our house. Maybe he didn't want to be driving if things get emotional. This makes me a little sad, taking them away from the people who have loved them more than anyone else in the world, and given them such tender and thoughtful care. I really want to do something nice for them. I am thinking of putting together a partial scrapbook of pictures of the children, with blank pages for future pictures over the years. I may also give them the poem that my cousin Z gave to me. I am also going to take a picture of all four of them on Saturday, which I will frame for the V's room. They have said that they would like continued involvement in the children's lives, so hopefully this won't be goodbye, but rather a sort of "see you later." I imagine that there will be a void in their home for a while though.

For us, the adventure is just beginning. Tomorrow is my last day of work for a few months. Then Dave and I will have a special evening together on our last night as a couple with no children. And Saturday... Moving Day!!!

I am feeling very ready to start my life as a mom.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy-teary (my own invented word) and completely overjoyed for you. This post is such an incredible one...it shows just how much the V's are loved by you and their abuelos - they are two blessed little ones. And what a world of love they will have to grow up in.

    So happy for you all. And so excited for your moving day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we keep in touch with both families the kids have been in, sometimes it works and other times it does not. It sounds like this would be a good relationship to keep. I will be thinking of you tomorrow, call if you need ANYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a journey! My tears are a reflection from sitting in a little room in Africa almost 2 years ago when you first shared all that was happening to now. I feel like a chapter is about to be completed and the page is turning to a blank page where you will begin to write the next chapter which will include your children!

    Love you tons!! Motherhood looks good on you!!

    KM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the transition went well. They seem so emotionally ready to make this change. Can't wait to hear how the first night went. Bet you didn't quite get the restful sleep you're used to. ;-)
    With all your time off in the coming weeks, we must plan a get-together.
    FYI...R & N birthday party is March 6th in the afternoon, so try to keep it open if it's not already booked.
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete