Monday, February 1, 2010

The Family Shower

Yesterday my family threw a shower for me and Dave and the kids. It was a wonderful, emotional day for us. It was really more like a regular family party than a traditional baby shower. Men, women and children attended. The kids ran around and played, reminding me that the V's will have so many little playmates during their childhood. We ate a delicious lunch- my family is full of excellent cooks. And of course we opened gifts. We received many special gifts. The little kids wanted to help open the presents, so I let them open a few. This was very entertaining.

I burst into tears at least six or seven times during the day. I was so overwhelmed by the love I felt and the warmth and acceptance that my children are entering into.

My cousin and my aunt spent the last two weeks crocheting beautiful blankets for the children. I was astounded that they had completed them so quickly. After all, we've only known we were getting the V's since January 12th!

We received the car seats from our registry, so we'll now be able to transport the children safely. Looking forward to trips to the zoo and other special outings!

My cousin gave me a beautiful poem in Spanish celebrating the joys of motherhood. It's difficult to translate in such a way that conveys the sentiment, but essentially it compares a mother rocking her child to various aspects of nature- the waves rocking in the ocean, the wind gently rocking the branches of a tree. I spent some time reading it when I got home last night and wept.

I am grateful for the many practical items we received, and feel relieved and better prepared to bring the children into my home.

My mother made a special CD with beautiful classical music favorites, which I plan to play in their room at night and in the morning. This was something she did for me when I was little, and I've always wanted to do this for my own children.

The bathroom is completely outfitted now in a bright and colorful sea life theme. The V's book and toy collection has been greatly enhanced. Of course, many adorable outfits abounded. I couldn't restrain myself from oohing and aahing over the children's clothing.

And many family members wrote advice and good wishes on some colorful pages, which I plan to add to the Letters to the Universe book. Among the many pieces of sage advice were the following nuggets of wisdom:

* Enjoy each breath and take a lot of pictures!

* Kiss their bellies and their toes

* Love them, love them, love them...

* Register their personal domain names now!

* Go with the child's pace

* Feel surrounded by the love of your family.


I do. Truly, I do. I love you all.

4 comments:

  1. And we love you...all of you!
    MFB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I look at your first family portrait and i think 'what a great thing'...to happen to you and dave and the kids and the world....because we will all benefit from the love that the 4 of you are sharing with one another. I am astounded at the radical change in your lives and really, really happy for you Tara. Congratulations. Now i just need to get on facebook and get your address. i love you. rachel h

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara!!!! So excited for you. I just read about your good news. Looking forward to keeping current about your new life through the blog. lots of love, sejal

    ReplyDelete