Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Finalized!

We went to court yesterday to finalize our adoption.  When we arrived, we met our attorney for the first time.  I had spoken with him on the phone, corresponded by e-mail and mailed documents back and forth from his office- but there never was a reason to get together in person... until yesterday.  He explained to us how the hearing would proceed, and at the end he said, "In 99% of cases, the judge approves the petition to adopt."  I looked at him in horror!  I thought this was a done deal!  He saw my expression and amended his statement to say, "99.9 percent of cases..."  Then he looked at Dave and must have been getting a similar reaction because he then started backpedaling and said, "I'm sure it will be fine," and quickly moved on to another topic.

We all filed into the courtroom- that is, me, Dave, the V's, the abuelos, my mom, sister, and cousin, and several friends who showed up to support us.  The attorney fired off a series of questions at me, basic stuff such as my name and address, kids names, etc, and then asked Dave if he agreed with all my answers.  Then he asked me, "Is it your wish to adopt these two children?" and my eyes filled with tears.  I said, "Yes, it is," as I accepted the handkerchief Dave had ready for me.  After Dave confirmed this was also his wish, the attorney was done.  I think the judge asked one or two questions, and then proclaimed the adoption finalized.  That was it!

During the court proceeding, the V's were running amok.  They were pretty excited to have so many family and friends there, and were a bit noisy until the attorney asked them to settle down.  After we finished up, we were allowed to take some pictures with the judge.  I would post one here, but I suspect the judge may not want his photo on the internet.  We did get a nice one of the family outside the courthouse:


We then hosted a celebration at our house, where, among other things, we served this cake.  I have only purchased an expensive cake twice in my life- first for our wedding, and now for Adoption Day.  I was quite thrilled with how it turned out- the pink dots are for Victoria and the green for Valentino (his favorite color.)  The message (on an edible card) says, "Happy Adoption Day Valentino and Victoria!"




We decided to keep their first names, in part because this is the only thing they will have from their birth mother, but mostly because they are old enough to know and identify with their names.  We did choose new middle names for them, so they will also have a name that we chose for special reasons.  Dave chose Victoria's middle name, Isabella, after his maternal grandmother.  I chose Valentino's middle name, Nathaniel, because it means "gift from God" and I truly do think of my two children as a precious gift.

After everybody left, we just relaxed for a while, played with the kids, and had a truly lovely evening as a "forever family."  I asked Dave if he felt any different now that the adoption is finalized and he said that actually he does.  We both agreed it was a relief to have the process complete.  Now nobody can take away our babies.  They belong to us, forever and ever.

4 comments:

  1. and no more cps visits lol Congrats you guys!!! It is a wonderful feeling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! So exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! and I love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 things:
    1) Yay! Congratulations!
    2) I NEED that dress you're wearing in the photo. Love.

    ReplyDelete