Hello again. I must say I'm a tad disappointed that we couldn't set a record in the comments section of the last post. I wouldn't have thought 3 was a huge number to shoot for. But many thanks to Christy and MB for your thoughtful words.
I thought I'd explain a bit more as to what a Clomid Challenge is, for those fertile folk among you who are blessed to not understand the female anatomy as intimately as I do. Bet you never realized a lack of knowledge could be a blessing...
Okay, so here is a brief crash course on the female reproductive system. You know about eggs and ovaries. Each egg is contained in a sac called a follicle. We all start off life with about 500,000 to a million eggs. When we reach puberty, the eggs begin to mature, about 30 per cycle (15 per ovary.) The female body produces a hormone called Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) which causes your eggs to mature in the ovaries until one of them bursts forth from its follicle and begins to travel into the Fallopian tube. If the egg meets a sperm in there, it can be fertilized and become an embryo, in which case it keeps on trucking until it reaches the uterus, where it embeds itself in the uterine wall and the cells multiply and divide and grow into a fully formed baby. If an embryo is not created, your egg dies off, as do all the other eggs that were growing in their little follicles, and that's it for those 30 eggs. Your body sheds the lining of the uterus (your period) and it starts all over again.
As we grow older, the eggs start to deteriorate, much like the eggs you buy at the grocery store. Ever left them in your fridge for a REALLY long time, and then when you cracked them open, they were all shriveled up and dried out? Well, you get the idea. So you have fewer eggs as the years go on, and the quality of the eggs you do have declines. Your body, desperate to reproduce, freaks out and starts producing higher and higher levels of FSH. So the level of FSH can be used as an indicator of fertility levels.
Here is where the Clomid Challenge comes into play. Because FSH levels can vary from day to day and month to month, the goal is to get an idea of the range. So we draw blood on day 3 of the menstrual cycle, when the FSH level should be at its lowest point. Then we artificially stimulate the production of FSH by taking the drug Clomid on days 5-9. Then a second blood draw on day 10. Comparing these two FSH levels will give the doctors an idea of how fertile a woman really is. In this case, me.
Ideally, Dr. P would like my FSH to be below 10. 15 or higher would be an indicator that all hope is lost. My levels were 7 something and 8 something- in normal range. Based on my history of two failed IVF cycles, my chances of conceiving with a third IVF cycle are at best 25%, according to Dr. P. He says that he doesn't see any red flags that would lead him to say we should NOT attempt another IVF cycle, but ultimately we will have to make that decision ourselves. (Apparently he doesn't see an expenditure of $15,000 as a red flag.)
IVF is a gamble. Do we want to bet $15,000 that we will succeed this time, given 1 in 4 odds? I've never been much of a gambler, myself. So that is where things stand as of today.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Is your Dr. P the same as my Dr. P.? I seem to remember we talked about him. I had pretty much the same results after the Clomid challenge. Dr. P is great at delivering results, but he sure doesn't help with the decision making! Though, I did see him after we decided to pursue adoption and he was really pushing me to do a 2nd IVF. Unfortunately, this is a decision that only you can make. Only you and Dave can decide how much you can take and how much you are willing to do. As you know, the physical part of IVF is easy . . . it's the mental part that's the *itch! I've reread this and realize that it's really not very helpful. Sorry about that. Just know that I am thinking of you and praying that you will reach a decision you can be at peace with.
ReplyDeleteI always thought I was knowledgeable on reproduction, but I missed the whole follicle part!
ReplyDeleteI happen to think that your child is already out there trying to get to you. This may sound pollyanna-ish, but I feel pretty confident that I already have this connection to my future cousin; I am just unable to put a face or name to him or her, but he or she feels very real to me.
What are the chances with donor eggs? By the way I just saw an advertisement in the State Press for egg donors - who can't be older than 29! That seems remarkably stupid to me (being older than that myself :-) )
As for gambling, 1/4 odds are pretty good, I think anyway, considering the potential "prize." The problem is, you lose more than the 15K if it doesn't work out. Do you want to be dealing with all this when you are one red file closer to getting matched with a child (or children)?
Tough decision, my dear. Know you will be supported on whichever path you guys choose. Love you, MFB
I feel like we're all in this journey together, at varying degrees. You are an amazing woman, and you will make an amazing mother. (I happen to know that you have a fine model for this, and we share her!) Dave will make an excellent father. (I'm sure there must be a fantastic aunt-to-be as well!) We just have to be patient for the right children. Patience does not happen to be something either of us possess in abundance. I know that each lost opportunity is devastating, but we must look to the future. A child (or two) will join our family, and then we'll all be reading funny parenting stories on your blog! I love you both, L
ReplyDelete