Frequently Asked Questions
When are you going to bring the V's home to live with you?
I am hoping for a homecoming day of February 5th. That gives me enough time to gather the basic STUFF the children will need. And believe me, there is a lot of STUFF. I am learning so much every day. It also will be good timing to wrap things up at work before my leave of absence. However, the most important thing is that it be a smooth transition for the children. We will have them and their abuelos over to our house on Thursday for dinner. We'll spend some more time with them and their abuelos, and then we'll take them out for some visits alone with us. We'll do an overnight visit, and if they seem comfortable, we'll plan the move. If they need more time, we'll give them the time they need. Greg and the abuelos are all very pleased with the progress so far, so we are anticipating an on-time arrival... :)
Will you have some time off from work?
Yes, I will take a 12 week leave of absence. This is something I have looked forward to for a very, very long time.
What are the child care arrangements for when you go back to work?
I don't know yet. Originally we were thinking of hiring a nanny, but now that we have learned that the children are in day care and really loving it, I may continue with that. I would like the day care to be near our home. If you have a recommendation, please send it my way! This will be one of my projects during my LOA.
What is your address? I must send you a congratulatory note!
Please do!!! I am going to save all of these notes and cards to show the children later in life, so they can see how much they were wanted and loved. We moved a couple of years ago and you may not be up to date. "Friend" me on Facebook and my address is there. Or call or e-mail my mom.
Do you need anything?
As far as STUFF goes, I believe we will be in very good shape. I have many friends and cousins who have young children and have volunteered to donate furniture, equipment, etc. I will do a fair amount of driving around the state of Arizona to pick stuff up over the next two weeks. We also have two baby showers planned. My family will throw a shower before the children come, and my friends will do a second one after.
What I can use is some ADVICE. Does anyone have a great pediatrician in central Phoenix? How about a dentist? Do children see a dentist before they lose their baby teeth? I already mentioned schools- need some recommendations there too. For those who have adopted children from foster care, or transitioned foster children into your home, any tips on how to make the transition smoother and minimize any stress on the children? Anyone with bilingual children- what are you doing to retain their first language? For all parents, tell me what you didn't know you didn't know about toddlers so I can be prepared!
But I live for buying baby clothes for people! Please let me buy them some baby clothes!
Okay, if you must... :)
Valentino is size 3T, size 8 shoes, and size 3T-4T pull-up diapers. Victoria is size 24 mo (which I have learned is actually different from 2T... silly me, thinking that 24 months equals 2 years...) Her shoes are size 5 and diapers size 3, unless you are buying Huggies, which apparently run small, and in that case, she is a 4.
How is Dave doing?
He is really happy and very helpful in preventing me from total emotional overload. He puts up with my craziness. Mostly I am overjoyed but sometimes I get panic stricken. Then he talks me off the ledge. He was really thrilled with how the visit went yesterday. Afterward, he commented, "I really can't imagine how it could be any better!"
Life is good. Just ask this guy:

OK, I can't help you on any of the transitioning stuff . . . wait, maybe I can. Even though Andrew came home from the hospital with us we were told to hold him TONS and be really stingy with the visiting friends and relatives. Maybe it's the same? I dunno. Anyhow, I'm working my way through "The Happiest TOddler on the Block" by Harvey Karp and I really like it. The subtitle is "How to eliminate tantrums and raise a patient, respectful, and cooperative one- to four-year-old.
ReplyDeleteWow, I just found out about this a few days ago from Augusta-- what a beautiful blog, what a sacred experience! I have other friends going through the adoption process, who have yet to be blessed with their dream come true-- it's nice to see that wonderful people like you and Dave will finally have your sweet little ones! The photos are so precious! (from an old friend, Jill Torrey Emmons)
ReplyDeleteis that your boy??? So CUTE!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey, February 5th is my birthday! Honestly, I can't think of a better way to spend my birthday than knowing that you're babies are coming home! I love you!
ReplyDeleteKate
OMG, Tara! They are both SO beautiful! And, YES they do look like you. See it's a emotional wait, but so worth it because the perfect ones that were meant to be yours just weren't "ready" yet. Everyone says how much Niko looks like Roger. Your smiles are priceless in all the photos. A beautiful, happy family indeed!
ReplyDeleteYes, the kids go to the dentist now before they lose their baby teeth. Niko and Reese are going again for their 6 mo. checkup in a couple weeks. Wait didn't I expect...the noise level...my dog has gotten extremely high blood pressure now and is on medication. i know you have animals that you love so I would just be aware...