The Santa debate rages on... and it looks like I'm losing this round. Dave purchased an Elf on a Shelf kit. This is a book that tells the story of the Elf, a stuffed creepy looking Elf, and instructions on how to "register" your Elf so that your children may receive personalized messages from Santa.
Last night I read the book to Tino. Basically the story is that the Elf comes to your home, perches on a shelf or other high-up location, and keeps an eye on the children during the day. At night he disappears and heads back to the North Pole to give his daily report on the children's behavior. The book doesn't outrightly state that ill-behaved children will not receive any presents... but it's implied. I'm beginning to see how this whole Santa thing can work to the parent's advantage. The rules are:
1. Children may not touch the Elf, or his magic will disappear.
2. Every day, the Elf will choose a new spot to reside and spy on the children.
3. The children must choose a name for the Elf.
4. Christmas Eve is the last day the Elf will appear, until the following year, whenever the family determines that Christmas season has begun...
So after reading the story, I told Tino, "Tomorrow morning you can look for the Elf."
His response: "I can't look for the Elf. It's too scary."
Me: "Oh honey, the Elf is not scary."
Tino, full of innocence and complete trust, "Mama, is the Elf real?"
Wow... way to test me right off the bat. How can I please everyone? Keep my integrity intact by not lying to my child, but at the same time, not ruin Daddy's fun?
So I said, "What do you think, honey?"
He said, "Yes." Yes, he thinks the Elf is real, and he finds it scary. So I just couldn't have that.
I said, "The Elf is just a toy, lovey. He can't hurt you." This is the best I can do.
This morning, he spotted the Elf right away and said, "Mama, my Elf on a Shelf!"
Tino and his Daddy named the Elf. It's name is Snowstar. They seem to be enjoying it and I must admit, I myself picked the Elf's new location this evening after the kids went to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment