Dave and I are enjoying some quiet time as a couple. Because I had Thursday and Friday off from work, and because my mom and sister generously agreed to babysit, we headed out of town for a mini-vacation, just the two of us. This is the first time the kids will have stayed overnight with anyone other than the abuelos and Valentino's first time staying away from us for two nights.
It's been nice re-connecting with my husband. It feels funny to say that, seeing as I see him every day. But today we've been able to talk to each other without interruptions for the first time in a while. We're also enjoying that feeling of freedom and spontaneity we always used to have- we can do whatever we want, for as long as we want! And of course, we'll be able to sleep through the night and stay in bed until 9:00 if we want to.
At the same time, I miss the V's. I know they are safe and happy and cherished where they are. But I miss them. People have asked me if it seems like they have always been with us, and I don't think that's exactly right. Certainly, they are deeply integrated into the fabric of our lives. But every day I am present to the blessing that they are to me. Some of the newness has worn off, but I don't take their presence in our lives for granted. Now I'm going to get a little cheesy and quote a song lyric... "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean." That's closer to how I feel, awed by and grateful for the way the Universe supplied exactly what I asked for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment