Saturday, November 20, 2010

National Adoption Day, Year Three

Today I participated in National Adoption Day for the third year in a row.  If you've been following for a while, you may recall that I wrote about this event last year.  In 2008, Dave and I both volunteered and we were just at the beginning of our adoption journey and were full of anticipation and hope.  We were so excited to see the many families from different backgrounds and with very different stories, all sharing the common experience of finalizing their adoptions on one eventful Saturday.  We dreamed that the next year it would be our turn.

On National Adoption Day 2009, Dave was out of town but I volunteered again.  This time, I got to see one of the families we met through our agency finalize their adoption of their two beautiful children.  Although I tried my best to push these thoughts from my mind, a part of me was hurting so badly and asking, "Why not us?"  We had been through the emotional roller coaster of four Red Files and four rejections at this point.  All I could hope for at this point was the chance to be in another Red File, and that it would happen sooner rather than later.

What a different experience I had this year!  With our adoption of the V's finalized in August, I could finally relax and enjoy this day for what it was, with no undercurrent of sorrow and longing.  I had the great privilege of escorting our friends A and J, their two boys, and a large group of family, friends, and supporters through their adoption process.  It was so moving to see how excited everyone was to bring these two little boys into the family.  A's relatives flew in from out of state for the celebration, and J's family all showed up to celebrate too.  What a wonderful, supportive family!  Later on, we all spent some time at their home for a luncheon party, bouncy castle, and of course cake.  A good time was had by all.

With my babies sound asleep in their beds and my husband collapsed from exhaustion, the house is unusually quiet now, giving me space to reflect upon how fantastic my life is turning out.  Everything is as it should be, and I am happy.  Tired sometimes, overwhelmed, overworked, and stressed out, but so, so, so very happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment