Story time is one of my favorite parts of the day. We bathe the kids and Tino goes to bed first because they share a room and he is the more sound sleeper. So while I read him his story and tuck him into bed, Victoria plays with her Daddy in our bedroom. Depending on our schedule, I read for 15 to 30 minutes. If he picks a really long book and it's getting late, I use the time honored trick of "abbreviating" the book by only reading the first sentence on each page, or just making something up to go with the pictures. I figure that since he doesn't know how to read yet, I could get away with this for at least a few years.
But tonight, he picked this Winnie the Pooh ABC book which was formatted as follows:
H is for Honey...
There is nothing Pooh loves more
Than a jar of honey on the floor
He can eat the whole jar
Wow, what a honey eating super star!
I'm paraphrasing... but you get the format. (Letter) is for (Word) followed by a four line poem. 26 pages of this! So I was just reading the first line on each page... H is for Honey. And after about 3 pages, Tino pointed to the poem and said, "Mommy, you talk." Clearly, he knew I was skipping some words. So I went ahead and read the little poem. This scenario repeated itself several times, until finally I gave up and read the whole book, word for word. I am simultaneously proud of him and dismayed that my days of book abbreviating have come to an end.
On a separate note, I talked to the guy from the city and he said to submit the traffic circle petition without Laverne's signature and we will see if we can override her "no" vote. When I shared what she said, he remarked, "Oh... one of those." Apparently these crazies abound in our fair city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment