So they have all agreed and now we shall have faces to go with the names.
So let's see... in chronological order, here are the people who made it possible for us to become a family.
Andrea was our adoption agency representative. She interviewed us multiple times at our home and wrote our homestudy, which was submitted to the court in order for us to be certified as adoptive parents. This homestudy was what CPS case workers would read when they requested files as they prepared for a Red File Staffing. I've never read the home study, but I assume it was good because our file was constantly being checked out and we were called for five Red Files in a year- I'm told this is a lot. Andrea attended the Red File meetings on our behalf and presented our family each time. The first four times, she had the unpleasant task of calling to deliver the bad news that we weren't selected. She did so with grace and kindness, gently answering all of the questions I would ask her through tears of bitter disappointment, and offering words of support and hope.
After the kids moved in with us, Andrea conducted many follow up visits to see how things were going and what support the agency could provide. And finally, she attended the adoption hearing with us on August 24th.
Here's Andrea with us at the adoption hearing:
After the homestudy was written and our file went to the Central Adoption Registry, the next person who played a key role in the process was Greg. Greg is our CPS caseworker. Having determined that Valentino and Victoria were to be adopted, it was his responsibility to decide which families to consider to become their parents. Greg chose us and two other families to be included in the Red File Staffing. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Greg!
Greg also conducted many follow up visits to our home. He is a genuinely good person and I grew very fond of him. He really cares about kids, and I know his job is hard for him because he is exposed to so much horror and sadness and pain inflicted upon children. We need more people like Greg in the system. I'll always hold a special place in my heart for him. It's too bad I didn't get a side view of him in the photo- he has blond dreadlocks down to his butt!
Here's Greg at our house for the Adoption Day brunch:
And last but not least... After Andrea wrote our homestudy, after Greg picked us as one of the three families to consider, after we had been told we might be parents once again... the Red File Staffing was held and these two people, who loved our precious V's like their own children and grandchildren, gave careful thought and reviewed all three files... and chose us to be the forever family for Valentino and Victoria. The foster family probably has the most important vote in the Red File meeting because they are the ones who care for the children on a day to day basis and have the best understanding of their needs. And they picked us. This photo was taken on the day the kids moved in with us.
Not only did they give us the wondrous gift of becoming parents, but the abuelos have supported us in so many ways since that day. They are always willing to babysit. I have called S so many times to ask her questions about what to feed the children, how she got Valentino to sit still to cut his toenails, how to get Victoria to take a nap... and she always graciously helps me. When it didn't work out for me to work a four day week as I was promised... she stepped in to take care of the children on Fridays so they would only have to attend day care three days per week. When we decided it wasn't in Victoria's best interest to accompany us to Hawaii, they opened their home to her again for a week and a half. I always feel comfortable knowing the children are safe and loved with their abuelos. When they spend the whole day with the abuelos, S washes their clothing, mends any tears, alters Victoria's pants to fit her tiny waist, and feeds and bathes the children. I pick them up at 5:30 or 6:00 and they are ready for bed- so I can spend a couple hours of good quality time with them, rather than spending the whole evening in a mad frenzy of cooking, cleaning, bathing, and preparing for bed. With my immediate family living 100 miles away from me, S & P have been an incredible source of support, generosity, and love for my family. Lately, she has been telling me she loves me and Dave very much. I find I love them too. They're like a second family to me.
I told S that I could only begin to comprehend how painful it must have been to say goodbye to Valentino and Victoria when they moved out. Her response was that she missed the children, but along with the sadness of their absence, there is joy at knowing they are with the best family they could have found. Thank you, Abuelos. You've given me the best gift I have ever and will ever know. You made my dreams come true.




awe, I love seeing the pictures!!! Such special people
ReplyDelete